Spanning 289,000 acres, the Shawnee National Forest is nestled in Southern Illinois between the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. It features strikingly beautiful oak-hickory forests, flourishing wetlands, lush canyons, razorback ridges, and unique geological features. A rare convergence of six natural ecological regions results in a diversity of plant and animal species. With nearly 1 million people visiting annually, the forest serves as a retreat to Americans living in urban areas; more than 30 U.S. cities are within a six-hour drive.
Parks / Trails
Shawnee Trails Lodging and Suites is conveniently located at the center of the Shawnee National Forest and is the closest to Interstate 24 and 57 of any accommodation to the forest and wine trails.
Shawnee Trails Lodging and Suites is located just 2 miles from the River to River Trail. Spanning from the Ohio River to the Mississippi River, this 160-mile trail passes through some of the most scenic areas of southern Illinois, including upland forests, wetlands, grasslands, and bluffs.
Ferne Clyffe State Park – .08 miles
Ferne Clyffe State Park has been known as an outstanding natural scenic spot for a century. An abundance of ferns, unique geological features, and unusual plant communities create an atmosphere that enhances the many recreational facilities offered at the park. Trails wind through picturesque woods, allowing visitors to view fascinating rock formations and inspiring vistas. Ferne Clyffe also offers camping, picnicking, hiking, hunting, and fishing.
- Ferne Clyffe State Park – .08 miles
- Panther Den Wilderness – 8.9 miles
- Tunnel Hill State Trail – 11 miles
- Cave Creek Glade Nature Preserve – 15 miles
- Cache River State Natural Area – 16 miles
- Crab Orchard Recreation Park – 16 miles
- Little Black Slough Nature Preserve – 18 miles
- Giant City State Park – 20 miles
- Jackson Falls – 20 miles
- Burden Falls – 22 miles
- Dixon Springs State Park – 23 miles
- Bell Smith Springs – 25 miles
- Trail of Tears State Forest – 26 miles
- Little Grand Canyon – 36 miles
- Garden of the Gods Recreation Area – 46 miles
- Cave-In-Rock State Park – 60 miles
Shawnee Trails Lodging and Suites has the closest accommodations to the interstate that leads to the wine trail on scenic forest roads to the 12 wineries nestled in the panoramic beauty of the Shawnee National Forest.
Blue Sky Vineyards – 10 miles
Built on the dream of one-day planting and operating a vineyard in the region, the same passion, persistence, and determination for growing quality wine were expanded to include the total winery experience. We invite you to enjoy the charm of our Tuscan Villa, savor hand-crafted wines and create memories that will last forever.
- Blue Sky Vineyards – 10 miles
- Feather Hills Vineyard & Winery – 12.5 miles
- Honker Hill Vineyard – 13 miles
- Starview Vineyards – 13 miles
- Owl Creek Vineyard & Cidery – 21 miles
- Alto Vineyards – 23 miles
- Peachbarn Winery & Cafe – 24 miles
- Von Jakob Winery & Brewery – 25 miles
- Walker’s Bluff – 25 miles
- Kite Hill Vineyards – 28 miles
- Pamona Winery – 32 miles
Lake of Egypt – 9 miles
The Lake of Egypt covers 2,300 acres with 90 miles of shoreline. Public access is allowed as are all-size boat motors. Waterskiing and jet skis are also permitted in most of the lake. Fishing includes Bluegill, Largemouth Bass, Channel Catfish, Striped Bass, and Crappie.
- Ferne Clyffe Lake – 1.5 miles
- Dutchman Lake – 8 miles
- Little Cache Lake – 8 miles
- Lake of Egypt – 9 miles
- Devils Kitchen Lake – 14 miles
- Little Grassy Lake – 19 miles
- Crab Orchard Lake – 20 miles
- Dongola Lake – 21 miles
- Arrowhead Lake – 22 miles
- Cedar Creek Lake – 30 miles
- Kincaid Lake – 39 miles
- Rend Lake – 41 miles
Shawnee Bluffs Canopy Tour – 9 miles
Illinois’ first entirely tree-based, eco-friendly zip line canopy tour, located on 83 wooded acres surrounded by the Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee Bluffs Canopy Tour consists of eight zip lines, the longest stretching more than 1,100 feet, which will zig-zag across the property’s bluffs and through the valley.
Countree Peddler Antique Mall – 1 mile
Located in Goreville, Illinois, the Countree Peddler Antique Mall has a large collection of antique, vintage, and collectibles. Whether you’re treasure hunting for yourself or searching for a unique gift, the Countree Peddler is a great place to shop!
- Countree Peddler Antique Mall – 1 mile
- Whitecotton Antique Mall – 6 miles
- Warehouse Antique Mall – 14 miles
- Red Brick Antiques – 16 miles
- Packrats Paradise – 18 miles
- Pickers Outlet Mall – 21 miles
- Country Creations Antiques Hide-Away – 21 miles
- Southern Estate Antique Mall – 21 miles
- Rosebud Antique Mall – 22 miles
- Golden Goodies Antiques & Crafts – 23 miles
Kokopelli Golf Course – 15 miles
This 18-hole course, designed by renowned golf architect Steve Smyers, was named by Travel + Leisure as one of “America’s 100 Best Courses for $100 or Less.” Kokopelli offers a full-service pro shop, professionals who offer personal golf instruction and an eight-acre practice facility.